How Can Tarot Be Your Self Help Guide
I’ll be honest. Traditionally, we have never had quite a good reputation for tarot cards. This is simply because instead of tasting the cup, our society believes in rough judgements based on the lack of awareness and societal projections, mostly arriving from myths and what we’ve watched in horror movies. Ouch! Bad start.
But as you must have seen on my website, Tarot is not just a service I offer but I also describe it as one of the most important self-help tools in my healing journey. Tarot cards have been a tool to help me connect with my psyche, my inner guidance system and my subconscious mind. In my short 3-year tarot journey, I have learnt quite a lot about these beautiful illustrative cards which is why I think it’s time I demystify what these cards truly are.
But before, here’s what these cards are definitely NOT:
1. A future-predicting tool
When you understand energy, you recognize that your future is not set in stone. Perhaps, astrologically energies do build up to cause a possibility of certain major events to happen in life. These “possibilities” indicated by the 22 cards in the spread are known as the Major Arcana. Again, “possibilities.”
Tarot taps into your energies to give you a picture of what’s happening in your life along with energies of other people and situations. By showing you this picture of past and present, it shows you what possibilities and opportunities can come for you. Giving you this clear guidance, it gives you a chance to continue or alter your actions depending on what you seek. A lot of people are intimidated by tarot cards because they feel what if they get something which they don’t like? But hey! If you get something which you don’t like, it’s a call to rectify your present actions.
This is why I never set out to do just tarot reading and spreads. I have a deep desire to heal. In my readings (Bust Blocks With Tarot), I use tarot cards to identify your blockages and give you my personal tools to heal and reform your mental, emotional, spiritual and physical life. There is no point of getting to know “what will happen” if we don’t use this amazing tool to align our actions to create our best versions.
2. Demonic, voodoo or evil
The damn reputation! I won’t blame you. I too had my reservations before I dived into this world of tarot cards. Blame it on movies and religious myths, who in my opinion consciously steered us away from self-healing tools in the name of witchcraft (well, that’s a story for another day!). Tarot holds no external magical voodoo power. Like all tools, they are as powerful as you make them. They work through the intuitive energy of the person drawing the cards and pretty much through the law of attraction, your vibration attract those cards. It also works a lot depending on the intentions the reader keeps to pull out the cards.
The traditional Rider-Waite tarot deck were developed by an artist, Pamela Colman Smith, who used to paint to her visions while listening to music. That’s magic? Yes, I call it creative magic! So, on the instructions of academic and mystic Rider-Waite, she created a bunch of painting which covered almost all aspects of human emotions. These insightful illustrations when deciphered (or read) always give unique meanings depending on the energies and the intuitive insights of the reader (also known as the subconscious). You may ask, but how can someone tap into someone else’s energy? Well, that’s simply because, at an energetic level, we all are connected. It’s all about tapping into that place! In fact, I believe one can pretty much do that via other means including meditations. Let’s consider these cards like our clues. Now, do you see anything voodo there? Not me!
3.Reserved for the spirit junkies
It’s truly a myth that only spirit junkies, hippies and psychics use tarot cards. It might have started from there because of their openness to alternative healing tools but today, it has spread to so many open-minded souls who proudly use these cards and decks in their everyday lives. In my opinion, a tarot is a wonderful tool for everyone- be it an entrepreneur, an artist, a psychic, a sales manager, or a healer to tap into their creativity. Our creativity lives in our feminine aspect which is very intuitive. Using tarot cards, you can hone your intuition and bring out this flowing creative side more often. Tarots have nothing to do with what you do, they always guide you through it all.
So what are they?
This is what tarots can BE for you if you choose to:
Tarot cards: an insightful guide
Tarot cards can be perfect guides to give you an overview of what is happening, where is it coming from and what can be the consequences. It’s also a lot to do with asking the right questions. This is why a lot depends on the reader too. A tarot card reader is mostly intuitive and has their own intuition guiding them through the cards. Asking the right questions can bring out a lot of things to the surface. Where are you right now? Where can you go from here? How can you spiritually align yourself to match your goals and dreams? What are the energies of the people involved? What is the blockage? These are some of the most common questions which lead to big answers.
Tarot Cards: A self-help tool
I highly encourage everyone to get acquainted with tarot cards irrespective of your background. Using it as a self-help tool, you can consult these cards to hone your intuition, to receive universal messages and to get insight on what your intuition is trying to communicate with you. The cards are simply responding to your inner guidance system.
- It’s always a good idea to start your day by pulling a card to know what intentions you want to keep for the day.
- You can perhaps try to do this in sync with the new moon and full moon cycles where you use a tarot card/spread to put your intentions or release.
- You can also use them to make business decisions or take that creative plunge when you feel confused or stuck.
- In fact, they often work as beautiful journal prompts when you can’t find directions to begin writing down or heal something. A lot of times, we feel stuck or disoriented about a person or a situation, but we cannot pinpoint the issue. Tarot cards greatly help to scoop out those details as it has access to all timelines across time and space (past, present, future).
- If you’re really curious to learn tarot for yourself, I highly recommend Biddy Tarot and Keen to refer for tarot meanings and interpretations when you find yourself in a spot. However, this no way means that the meanings described here are the only ones for you. Your intuition will always give you different context and meanings. Listen.
- It’s always a great idea to meditate before you pull out a card. This will make sure your energy is clear and you pull out the guidance that is impartial and has no emotional interference. One of the reasons why most of the people believe that you cannot pull out cards for yourself is that we tend to get our emotions in between when we pull out guidance. However, meditating make sure you are connected to your higher self and derive guidance straight from there.
- A journal as a companion for your tarot reading is beautiful to have as you can pour out your channelled messages right there. Remember, some things, may not make sense at the moment and you may want to discard, but if you write them down, you’ll soon realize what they meant for you at the right time.
I hope this article answer your curious questions about tarots and bust those myths. We all begin somewhere. Mine started with the book “Brida” by Paulo Coelho I read for the first time when I was sixteen and then the second time when I was 23. The second time I read it, the book got me really curious about these beautiful cards which were said to enhance the intuition. As the Law of Attraction works, I slowly started attracting more of these experiences into my reality and well, here we are today!
I love reading cards and once I am with them, I feel my feminine aspect strongly activated as my intuition flows in smoothly with my words. To some extent, I recognize I have been a gifted writer, speaker and a creative intuitive, which is what makes me flow into these energies so easily. If you think we can vibe on this, feel free to get yourself a personal reading.
As I mentioned above, I do believe in aligned actions. Hence, when you purchase a reading with me, I don’t just tell you what’s happening, I also guide you through the blocks and help you manifest your goals into your reality through my self-help tools (meditations, journal prompts, affirmations, channelled messages). So as I call it, this is not just an intuitive reading, it’s an intuitive guidance package. Check this out here.
Also, I do monthly tarot readings based on your zodiac signs on Youtube (The June monthly readings are up, subscribe to get a notification each month). As always, if this inspired you, don’t forget to let me know by leaving a comment down below. You can also reach out to me on Instagram where I often do a lot of card readings for the collective.
May you have an inspired, wonderful week ahead 🙂